Elevate your organization with this simple organiser! It uses elastic bands within the Ribbon Stitches which gives this exclusive stitch elasticity while remaining decorative.
- 1/2 yard (0.45 meters) medium to heavy weight cotton (outer fabric)
- 1/2 yard (0.45 meters) medium to heavy weight cotton (lining fabric)
- Matching all-purpose thread
- Couching/Braiding Foot for IDT™ System
- 2 packages of quarter-inch elastic
- 1 package of suede lace
- INSPIRA™ Fusible “No Show” Mesh Cut-A-Way Stabilizer
- Fabric marking pen
The double ribbon stitch technique can be found on the following sewing machines: quilt expression™ 720, performance icon™, creative sensation™ pro II, and creative icon™
- Measure the length of the longest piece you will be storing and add 2” (5cm) for the width.
- The length is dependent on how many items you would like to store. Lay the items out side-by-side and measure. Then double that measurement to make sure you have some room to spare.
- For the exact organizer shown above cut a 14” x 20” rectangle from each fabric
Preparing the Fabric:
- On the wrong side of the fabric, fuse your stabilizer.
- With the fabric marking pen, mark where you would like your elastic to go on the right side of the fabric.
Note: If the width of your organizer is less than 10”, two rows of elastic are recommended. If the width is 10” or wider, use three rows or more. Tip: Evenly spaced rows will be more secure.
- Choose a plain double ribbon stitch
- Stitch the ribbon stitch down each line, from edge-to-edge. Note: Be sure to start the ribbon stitching at the end for each row.
- With right sides together, attach the ribbon stitched lining to the outer fabric leaving a 4-5” opening on one of the long sides. Use a .” seam allowance.
- Clip the corners.
- Turn the project right side out and press.
- Topstitch along all four sides.
- With the fabric marking pen, mark a line centered between the ribbon stitching on the outer fabric for the ties.
- Pin the outer fabric to the ribbon stitched lining along the sides of the ribbon stitches. Note: Attach the pins close to the ribbon stitches to leave room for sewing the suede without interruption.
- Attach the Couching/Braiding Foot for IDT™ System.
- Select the zig-zag stitch.
- Cut 2 pieces of suede lace. Each piece should be three times the length of the project. Tip: Test the length of the suede once your items are in the organizer and cut down the length if desired.
- Insert the suede lace in the foot and test the width of the zig-zag stitch. Tip: you want the zig-zag to be just wide enough to clear the suede lace.
- Stitch down the suede starting at one end.
- Fill your organizer and roll it towards the end with the suede ties.
- Wrap and/or tie the organizer closed.